This morning was the first morning when I woke up, I thought, "Holy Crap, I am graduating in two days." I have been so stressed out that I haven't had time to really focus and think about what huge milestone this is.
I can barely remember the first day of my college career. I had just turned 18 a few days before and my first class was at 8 a.m. It was Music Theory, a class that I had not qualified for, but my music professor did not want me to fall behind, so he forced me to take it. I dropped out of it, without withdrawing from it, giving me my first "F" ever. I really didn't care though. I hated college, and I really didn't want to go through with it.
Fast forward to two years later, my music professor had felt up me and every other attractive music major and moved to Indiana because there were rumors that he was having an affair with a band member. I decided that school was not for me since I cried every day. I got a job at a bank and that was my first full-time job. I did that for a semester, then quickly signed up for classes the next semester. I was decided to become a Spanish major, so I signed up for Spanish 1001, which was the first Spanish class I had ever taken. I took two years of French in high school, and was awesome in it, but all of the French classes were 8 a.m. classes, so I went for Spanish. I had high hopes of being trilingual. I had a clue that Spanish was not my major when my Spanish teacher laughed when he found out I had declared it.
Then I became discouraged and became a General Studies major, until my boss in University Relations told me that I had a real talent for writing, so I changed to English Communications. Now, I am finally graduating after five and a half years. It feels great, but I feel like I should have a Master's instead of a Bachelor's degree. I feel exhausted and ready to search for what I really want to do in life. This is my new venture. Having Mark by my side and a small sense of security really helps.
Thursday, December 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Proud of you, sweetie. I know it's been a long and winding road, but you're aaalmost there. I'm looking forward to seeing you rest. You've earned it.
I have learned to love Joyce, but I remember hating everything during the week of finals. It was so good to see you this weekend and congratuations sweety! You will be very successful at whatever you do.
Thanks, Alicia. You know, I did hate Joyce when I started writing my research paper, but now I really like him.
It was really good to see you, too. I had fun at lunch. I am so proud of you and Kirsten getting your Master's degree. I am also proud of the work you do, trying to expose under-estimated children to culture, history, and psychology through good literature. I know it is hard, but it will be worth it one day.
Well? Are you finished? Or are you still hangin' in there?
My last final's in a couple of hours. But unlike you, this is not my last final of undergrad. Dang it.
Yes, Lauren, I finished on Friday! I turned in my last paper under my professor's door at 7 p.m. Friday, then got up the next morning and graduated! It feels so good to be done. I think it will really hit me next semester when I don't have classes. Nice.
I know you are bummed about not being done yet, but it is really great that you went back and are finishing. You will be so glad that you did. I am proud of you!
Post a Comment