From birth until the seventh grade, I had a single best friend. We were together constantly, mainly because we were cousins, but also because we were same-sex soulmates. We talked on the phone, got in trouble because we passed notes in class, hung out during recess and lunch, and shared clothes and make-up. The rift in our iron-clad relationship formed when she was trying to share something that I wasn't willing to give up...my boyfriend.
We were in the gymnasium of our middle school, which is so old it should be preserved as a historical monument. As I walked across the three-point line taped on the glossy floor, I knew something was different. All of the girls that I usually hung out with were sitting on the first row, whispering to each other. My best friend, who was usually the ring leader of the group, was strangely nowhere to be found. Even though in middle school you do not hang out with your boyfriend, I still didn't see him either. My boyfriend, by the way, was the hottest guy in the seventh grade, but only after I started dating him.
I walked up to my friends and asked why we weren't in our usual spot, the top row of the bleachers where it was dark enough so that the teachers could not tell what we were doing. It was the established "cool people" spot. They all looked at me with fake sympathetic smiles and told me to prepare myself for what they were going to say. I impatiently told them to hurry up with it, and they instructed me to walk to the hallway where the bathrooms are.
Even though this treasure hunt annoyed me, I was curious as to what I was going to find. Not surprisingly, I found my best friend flipping her hair and throwing her head back to laugh at my boyfriend. I quickly hid myself so that I could watch what they were doing, and not two seconds later, my best friend and boyfriend were making out.
I guess this is why I get so jealous when other girls try to get close to my boyfriend. It has nothing to do with his actions, or even the actions of the other girls. It has everything to do with me. I have accepted that and I am okay with that but I still don't like it.
Why do girls always try to take guys that they didn't want before, but now that I got them, they are all over them? It is because they try to steal happiness.
Thursday, November 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment