Recently, I have had to research the area of Communications that I want to persue when I graduate. I had to find professional organizations to join, job listings for my particular field, and intership opportunities all over the nation.
An opportunity to write columns for the morning newspaper fell in my lap a few days ago. I had to scramble to get my resume together, as well as a cover letter and I actually reached out to my professor to help me with my email.
Why is it so intimidating to get a grown-up job? My professor says it is because this is the time in our lives that our precious ego will be tested and more than likely we will have to suffer rejection. It makes me not even want to get a grown-up job.
But you got to eat.
Thursday, November 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Grown up jobs are scary because you think it means you have to all of a sudden become this mature adult. Not true. I'm still a childish moron, and the great thing is that I don't change at work. I still laugh too much and talk in strange voices (though I've tried to tone it down just a bit for the sake of appearing somewhat professional to the students and staff). One good things about grown up jobs is that you get grown up money. Feeling self-sufficient is great.
Mel, let me know when you decide to go to law school. You know it's been something I've considered. We can go together and then open our own law practice.
As of an hour ago, I just sent my first query email to the newspaper. I am really scared and I hope to hear back soon. The waiting and knowing that I am being judged critically is making me crazy. I have been checking my email like every 5 minutes.
Your writing is great. Don't worry about being judged. If anyone says anything, think of it as constructive crit. (easier said than done, I know). These people at the paper have probably been writing longer than we've been alive and you can learn from them. What is a query email? I would like to see one.
Post a Comment