
Why is it so hard to teach the truth in love? Even when you try so hard to share your opinions about religion, someone is always going to be wrong. I just want everybody to believe the same thing about God and the church and have it be the truth. I don't want to feel that everything about the Bible and religion is up to interpretation. I think that there are absolute truths in Christianity, and I don't want to feel badly about that. I hate feeling bad about what I know to be true about the Bible.
5 comments:
Thanks. That helps.
No one wants to be wrong nor admit they might be wrong. It's easier to twist scripture to make it conform to your way of life so you don't have to change. That way you can feel good about yourself since you are "doing the right thing."
James,
God's truth does not oppress; the evil workings of man do. All of your examples were of men oppressing men, even though some said they were acting in the name of God. Divisions are created because of the personal agendas of men. For example, Henry VIII created the Church of England so that he could get a divorce and remarry.
James,
Kirsten only made one comment in this section, so I think you meant to center your last comment to Melanie, who started her comment with "You want the meaning..." You should have known; it screams "Melanie" and I mean that in the best possible way.
What I think the problem could be is that we have dramatically different attitudes towards big/small pictures of religion and spirituality.
Melanie and I believe that "God is in the details"--to use a very cliche phrase. We believe that the small picture and attitudes on so-called "insignificant issues" are really what determines if someone is living a Christian life.
(Mel-if I made the wrong assumptions about you, you can correct me)
Our frustration is the fact that since we were brought up in The Church of Christ, we were taught that there is a right and wrong way to live your life as a Christian, just look at all the letters in the New Testament. We get aggravated that we have to debate someone who was taught the same things, but seems to have "outgrown" the truth, to put it bluntly.
The fact that you are wanting for all nations to clasp hands and sway to world peace and religious tolerance is strange because the Bible contradicts the fact that everybody will find their version of heaven and the story of existence will end with, "and they lived happily ever after." Some people are correct about God, but most are not and the Bible clearly states that.
Personally, I don't know why this debate got started or what the point is really. I don't mind that it is going on in my blog but I just want to understand what the point is or what everybody wants to accomplish. I don't feel attacked and I hope no one else does; I just want to know what the real issue is that started this whole thing.
In my opinion, it seems that James was in some way turned off by my observation of absolute truth. I also feel that James has some issues with The Church of Christ. I could be totally wrong, but I wonder if there is a deeper issue that needs to be discussed.
Okay, okay...I think that this debate has gone too far. I don't want anyone to feel "double-teamed" or bombarded. I want to apologze if I said anything that might be seen as an insult.
I would like to encourage everyone to peruse through my other carefully-crafted posts to see if there is anything else that might be of any interest.
Like I said before, I would like to call a truce. James do you mind making fun of Brad again because he has posted two new comments that are ripe for the picking. It is a highlight in my day to read your comments.
I love everybody who makes comments because I've known you for most of my life. I don't want this to cause a rift.
Kisses and hugs.
Post a Comment