Sunday, October 23, 2005

"Hate Crimes" Committed in the Church

Today I learned of a bill that has already been passed by the Senate and could go to Congress soon. It is Bill S. 622, also known as the "Hate Crimes" bill. This bill was introduced by none other than Ted Kennedy. I found an article that better explains the bill's implications and I wanted to share it.

"Hate crimes" legislation can come up for a vote in Congress this fall if the House and Senate conference members attach the legislation to the Defense Authorization bill. "Hate crimes" refer to crimes motivated by race, etc. and democrats in Congress want to include crimes motivated by sexual orientation. "Hate crimes" are typically charged as felonies having serious consequences, including prison and fines.

Preachers could be threatened with jail sentences and fines if they speak out about homosexuality or speak against homosexual "marriage" from their pulpits. This is what is already happening in certain Canadian provinces. The United States Senate passed the "Hate Crimes" legislation by a 2/3 margin. The vote will be extremely close in the House of Representatives if it is ever sent there from the House/Senate conference.

Christians are put in a predicament because we are commanded to speak out and teach the truth about sin; however, we are also commanded to obey the laws of the land. I know what my stance will be on the matter. I do not believe that this bill will stop anybody from preaching or teaching any differently.

1 comment:

Kasey said...

I totally agree. I think people should stay away from church issues, stop using religion as a political strategy, and deal with real political issues. Look at how many truly political issues there are! It scares me to think that the way I worship will be threatened by government-that was the main reason for the US to break away from England. The issues that the president stands for could be fought independently from religion.

However, I believe this bill is just a statement the democrats are trying to make. We all know that this bill will never pass. Period.