Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Isn't the Bible enough?

I believe there are absolute truths in the Bible. Not only do I believe it, the Bible clearly states it. I also believe that these absolute truths do not limit or persecute believers; they guide and lead God's followers in the way that they should go.

2 Peter 19-21 "We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

Two passages clearly show that there is a right way to worship (God's way) and a wrong way (man's way). I don't know how to "interpret" these verses any differently than the way Jesus said it. If people feel comfortable making assumptions about what God will and will not allow in the sense of worship, then that is their choice.

Matthew 15:9 "But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Matthew 7:21-23 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

God carefully chose every word in the Bible for our instruction, but it's more than just a rule book. This is His voice talking to each of us in every generation and every culture. The Bible is timeless and is never outdated. There is no need to make "contemporary" changes in church worship and doctrine because that underestimates the power of God to reach the entire world.

2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

I know that God does not want division. He wants everyone to believe the same thing; therefore, there IS an absolute truth.

1 Corinthians 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

I believe that I am supposed to correct any skewed beliefs that my loved ones may have because I want them to be blessed by God and because I care about their salvation. The Bible commands us to correct each other, and I intend to do so while I learn to repent from my sin with a humble spirit.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 "Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do."

No comments: