I am starting to think seriously about grad schools, and one of the major dilemmas I am having is whether to go to a Christian school or another liberal arts university. There are pros and cons to both are obvious, so how does one choose? More specifically, how do I choose?
A liberal arts university has the disadvantage of very little Christian fellowship inside the college atmosphere (at least, the CORRECT Christian atmosphere). The advantage is that I would be prepared for heathen beliefs being thrown in my face, so I could discount those theories as false.
A Christian university is a great environment for local and foreign mission work. There is a great possibility for enrichment, but the disadvantage would be falling for misleading information from professors. Just because a university is affiliated with a certain "denomination" (and I use that term loosely to include The Church of Christ) does not mean that the professors must teach the corresponding doctrines.
My brother attended David Lipscomb University, and some of his religion teachers were Methodist. One of his professors told him that The Church of Christ came out of the Methodist church during the Reformation, and to this day he believes it. I hope I would not fall into a false doctrine, but as the Bible says, "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Which schools (christian and public) are you considering?
First of all, I would like to thank you for making a comment to this post because everybody is still stuck on the other one. I think the post before this might have been too long, so no one actually read it. Anyway, I have the colleges that are totally a fantasy, like NYU and Columbia.
The other liberal arts universities I am interested in are GA State University and maybe Univ. of Alabama.
The Christian school I would like to go to is Pepperdine. It's so expensive and so far away!
I have some time, but I am already stressed out. I should just relax until I have to stress out.
Don't stress out about it yet. It is something that you should be thinking about, but not worrying over at this point.
You can always transfer if you want. Also, you can get more than one degree at more than one school. However, if you do not plan on being a professional student like myself and actually hope to make your mark in "the real world," go to whatever school will further your goal in life career wise.
If your aim is to get the best education possible in your field, go to the best school possible.
If your aim is Christian fellowship, go to a Christian university.
Perhaps you can find a school that fits both these requirements.
In the end, do what will make you happiest.
I think I would do just fine in NY because when I went there for spring break, I loved it.
Besides, I think I could get in to those schools without the help of tokenism.
I called NYU on Friday and asked them what the requirements are to be considered for their Creative Writing graduate program. I felt really proud of myself for taking the intiative.
I also bought a book today that is a collection of the best writing from the top creative writing grad schools in America. I want to see if I can compare.
I will have the time to read it because tomorrow mom and I are traveling to Ohio for Granddaddy Farmer's funeral. (Aunt Maxine and Aunt Sue's father-Grandma's first husband)
Post a Comment