Saturday, June 07, 2008

Ben's German Lullaby

I have been thinking of a song I could sing to Ben when he is getting ready to go to sleep or when he is peacefully eating. I don't particularly like the generic lullabies that are out there, nor do I want something that is popular today, so my song choice seems dated. I wanted a classic song that sounds good with accompaniment or without. I kept thinking of this one song that I sang in my high school choir, and that is the song I ended up with. Here are the lyrics and a video of a choir singing it.

Die Nachtigall

Music by Felix Mendelssohn
Lyrics taken from a poem by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Die Nachtigall, sie war entfernt,
The nightingale, she was far away,

Der Frühling lockt sie wieder;
the spring lures her back;

Was neues hat sie nicht gelernt,
she has learned nothing new,

Singt alte liebe Lieder.
she sings the same old love songs


3 comments:

Jonathan said...

As the German's would say, Wunderbar! I am glad you have a song in your heart.

Kirsten said...

Pretty. I'm glad you're singing again.

Kasey said...

Mark really inspired me because he doesn't get self-conscious. He finds the guitar tabs online and sings all kinds of songs to Ben. I want him to not be shy about his voice, so I have to get past my insecurities and take the lead.