Monday, July 23, 2007

Plum Vomit and Sesame Seeds

There are a lot of August birthdays in my family. I have come to the conclusion that the reason for this strange phenomenon is that there is something inherently romantic about Christmas: a roaring fire in a fireplace, candles burning, lights twinkling, a beautifully decorated house, thoughtful presents, family and friends visiting and sharing hilarious stories, etc. Apparently the members of my family cannot resist the charm of the holidays, so nine months later a baby enters the already large family.

Mark and I got married the day after Christmas, not so that we could miss the holiday season fertility period that seems to snare so many of us, but because we were so in love with each other that we simply could not wait anymore to be together. When we came up to Virginia, our bond seem to grow stronger and we became more relaxed and a lot more happier, even though we had been living in a hotel room together for weeks.

At the beginning of this month, we moved to an extended stay hotel, where we could spread out a little better and start cooking our own meals. On the fourth of July, we went to one of Mark's professor's house and watched them shoot off firecrackers. We drove back home slowly, pulling over to watch a few random fireworks every once in a while.

So far, all of this seems like random thoughts, I realize, but what pulls it all together was when I realized that I was pregnant and confirmed it yesterday by peeing on a special stick that told me I was before I could even flush the toilet. My baby is now the size of a sesame seed, and I am on week five of my forty week journey. I have to stay calm, even when I feel nauseated when I smell a magic marker, or when I throw up a plum in the bathroom at work, or when I cry when I read advice about not doing any heavy lifting. We don't have wills, a house, a big enough car, a plan for our lives, or a plan for the upcoming month. I don't know anything about parenting, except for what I have seen on Supernanny or The Dog Whisperer.

I always said that I didn't want to know the gender of my babies if I ever get pregnant. Now that I am having a baby, I think that I would like to try to not know. The only reason that you would need to know the gender is so that you could pre-buy gender specific clothing and accessories, but I think that it is good to not limit the colors and types of toys and accessories that a baby can play with because that is a cultural limitation that does not make sense to me. Whatever. I will have to be more active on my blog now, since Kirsten pointed out that we are apart and everyone is dying to know what is going on with the baby. I have my first sonogram planned for next Monday. Hopefully, there will be a picture to accompany my next post.

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

I AM SO EXCITED! I know I keep saying it over and over, but it's true.

Kasey said...

I am too, I guess I am still in denial. I think that I am not letting myself get that excited because I am worried something will happen and then I lose the baby. I think a lot of new pregnant women must have that same fear. I am starting to think of names and stuff. I will need your help to think of something classy.

alicia said...

Kasey! I am so happy for you and Mark! I read your blog through tears of happiness for you and your husband. You and Mark have such a beautiful love story and you are going to be wonderful loving parents. You are blessed, but so is the baby that will belong to both of you. Please keep me posted! This is so exciting!

Kasey said...

Thanks Alicia! Mark and I are gearing up for a very exciting year!

Jonathan said...

I don't have kids exactly, but I do want to caution you on using all of Cesar's moves. The alpha take down may cause some damage to children under the age of one year. It is best used on children between 1 and 13 after which point it depends if said child is now bigger than you or if it is a better fighter.

Also, if I survey my surroundings in the mall, I find that yelling at your child constantly and then not following through on your warnings is a big help in child rearing.

On a serious note, congratulations! You and Mark will be great. Plus you have an excuse for Disney/animated movies, Chuckee Cheese, and other kid related fun.