Monday, January 22, 2007

A Little Bump in the Road to Happiness

Today was a sad day because I finally turned Rosco over to the animal shelter. This morning was really rainy and wet, and he wasn't in the kennel we left out there for him because there was about two inches of water in the bottom of it. So I went out there in my bathrobe and glasses (in the pouring rain) to feed him and tried to figure out how to keep him dry. Mark suggested to drag the hammock out there to keep him and his food dry, but he kept getting himself wrapped around it and howling like he was dying, so I made another trip out there and took a huge box we had and finally got him out of the rain. However, he learned how to dig holes, so as I watched him through a window, I realized today was the day that we must part. I put him in the back of my car and drove him to the shelter, as he howled so loud in the back seat that I busted out laughing from just how ridiculous the situation was. I pulled into a parking space, took his red collar off that Mark picked out for him, and took him to a toothless chain smoker who told me that he would be fine. I feel horrible, like I just dropped off my child at a boarding school, never to see him again. I just hope there will be someone out here that will love him enough to make him not dig holes and not howl quite as much.

2 comments:

alicia said...

I feel so stupid! When I bookmarked your page, I did not realize that it kept going back to the same old post so I have not been up to date on your life. Sorry about Rosco, but I am sure he will find a happy home.

Kasey said...

Thanks, Alicia. I haven't been posting that much because we don't have the internet at our new apartment...too high tech for Lyons. I never doubted for a second that you didn't care anymore!