Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Baby's First Restaurant and Other Adventures



Yesterday was a big day in the life of Ben. He went to the doctor's office for his 1 month well-baby visit and he passed his first standardized test with flying colors. He is now 23 3/4 inches, which means he is taller than 95% of all 1 month old babies. When he was born he was 22 1/4 inches, and he was taller than 99% of all babies! Can you believe that? When he gets older, I will never have to struggle to reach for something on the top shelf again. He got his second Hep B shot (out of three) and he did really well, only crying for a second and then I gave him a pacifier and held him tightly and he stopped crying instantly. The nurse commented on how well-behaved he is and contributed it to our calm demeanor around the baby. I guess they see a lot of harried new moms and dads. Oh, and he weighs exactly 11 pounds.

After that, we went to Panera Bread for lunch, which marked Ben's first restaurant outing. He was perfect. He slept through the whole lunch, giving Mark and I a peaceful meal. Afterwards, we went into the mall so Mark could get a haircut. I held Ben, and he slept through that event as well. Mark didn't come out of it so unscathed. The girl jacked up his haircut and now he looks like a military man or like someone that should own a motorcycle. Mark is pretty depressed about it, but I told him that it will grow really fast.

Also, Ben has been sleeping an extra 1 to 2 hours every time I lay him down. Mark thinks it is because of the vaccine, but I think it could be a blessing from God. He eat last night at 9:30 and didn't wake up until 2:30! I got 4.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, and for a new mom, that is heavenly.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

You sang about it and it really has come true: you do have a giant babe. I'm glad he's so healthy and is doing so well.

Mark shouldn't worry about his hair. Like you said, it will grow back really fast. I bet he'll like the cool sensation on his head from being a baldy; I know Jon does.

Mel said...

I'm so happy to hear he's doing well. You will be sleeping 10 or more hours before you know it. They grow up so fast. You and Mark are doing a great job.

Kasey said...

Thanks, I really do feel like I have finally gotten into the swing of things. I have my 6 week check up with my ob/gyn tomorrow, and after that I am starting on a serious diet/exercise regimen. These 70 pounds are not going to lose themselves! (That is what I would love to lose, but I will settle for 35 pounds.)

Yellow said...

What a beautiful baby and look at those fingers! Maybe he'll play piano - that's long fingers, right? Oh, a composer! Congrats to the three of you! *brandi