Friday, June 29, 2007

Re-Entering the Job Market (a.k.a. Doing What I am Told)

Last weekend, Mark and I decided that the best thing for me to do, instead of looking for a job on my own, would be to go to a temporary job agency so that I could work little office jobs that were not stressful and that gave me the capability of trying a lot of different fields so that I could see what I wanted to do when I grew up. So, on Monday, I went to the agency and filled out all of the paperwork and took the clerical tests (I found out that I can type 56 words per minute and I made a 67% on my Excel test and a 87% on my Word test--not the best clerical worker!). The worker at the agency said that she thought she could place me pretty quickly, and what did I think about part-time? I was excited because I wanted to ease my way back into the whole career thing, so I said I was cool with anything.

Well, God saw it differently.

Two days after I went in to the agency, I got a call at 7:56 a.m. with a job offer. I had not been awake that early in six months, so I didn't answer, but Mark heard the phone and checked his message, and he told me to wake up and call the agency back. I called and told her I could be there in an hour, so I got ready and got to work at an environmental clean-up company that makes organic products that clean up land fills, water, petroleum spills, etc. My boss goes all over the world, consulting clients on how to clean up major pollution sites. It is really a great company. I told her about our documentary and how Mark and I want to make a documentary about third-world and other foreign countries, and she said that she would like us do make a documentary about her dealings with China.

What is really strange about this comment is that a few weeks ago, Teri showed me a website that she had been looking at as she was considering adoption. The orphanage was in China, and she has always wanted a little girl. She said that she would like to go over to China and help out in an orphanage. Then, last Sunday, Mark and I went to a church up here in Roanoke, and a woman came up to us and started telling us about her recent adoption of two baby girls in China. When she found out that we had done a documentary, she insisted that we do a documentary about an orphanage in China. Now, my boss told me that she would be interested in Mark and I doing a documentary about China.

So, I have decided to take the hint that God is not-so-gently nudging me with, and I plan on starting pre-production on a documentary about girls in China and the whole adoption process. Mark and I both agreed that it is something that we want to pursue, so I am moving forward in this plan. It will probably take about a year before I actually shoot the footage because of all of the red tape involved with filmmaking overseas, but I wanted to let it be known that this is my sincere intent for the next few months. Please pray.

1 comment:

alicia said...

What a great opportunity! I think this sounds like an excellent idea!