Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Documentary and Beyond

The premiere was really great. We showed the film in Augusta on the 14th of this month. The room would hold 110 people, and there was one more person than capacity in attendance. It was a packed house. We got a lot of good feedback from the audience, and we were grateful for all of our friends and family who showed up.

Now that the premiere is over, Mark and I are starting to focus on other things, like our marriage and writing. I have been trying to write for three months, but I didn't get a lot done with the documentary in full swing. Now, I am enjoying having the house quiet enough to concentrate. I like writing, even though it sometimes takes way longer for me to fight my demons than for me to write a sentence. I think I have talked myself into liking mediocrity so much that I can actually write without any expectation of what it will turn out to be. If it is better than mediocre, I will be thrilled.

We will be moving in seven weeks to Virginia, then we will move again (after seven weeks in Virginia) to somewhere. We are hoping for LA, but we will keep our eyes open for opportunities elsewhere. It feels so strange to be in the middle of such change. I guess it isn't unusual for people to want to pick up and go somewhere else, but it is scary when you realize that you are fool enough to actually do it. I don't think that anyone is surprised that Mark and I are planning this traveling circus, but it worries me that we haven't talked ourselves out of it yet! I am thrilled that we are going to be this unstable at the beginning of our marriage because it makes me know that no matter what happens in my life, or Mark's life, or our lives, we will always be up for the ride, no matter where that takes us. In other words, we trust each other, and there is nothing better than that.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

Mark couldn't get his account to work, so I'm posting this for him:

"You've been my two favorite people this year: my favorite wife, and my
favorite executive producer.

You've gone above and beyond what both of those titles require and, for
that, I'll sing your praises from the rooftops.

Well, if I had a good ladder, I would.

If I had a good ladder and a stable rooftop in a location where I knew
someone wouldn't call the cops for trespassing or noise pollution, and if we
had the storage space in our painfully cramped house, I would.

All deflection aside, you're the greatest bride & co-worker a guy could ask
for.

I love you, and I look forward to flying off into the unknown with you by my
side."

Kirsten said...

I have already told you how envious I am that you are actually going to live the dream of moving to a big city. You are so brave and things will work out because God will make sure they do. Besides, if you don't like it, you can always come home.

James Kicklighter said...

I can't wait to see the book in stores everywhere, it's gonna be great! You're spending so much time developing the arcs and characters...the details. If you can hammer those out, man, you'll have something special.

I admire what you guys have been able to do through such a hectic time -- the chances that have been taken and the absolute consistency and support you've shown Mark. I hope that I can be so lucky to find a wife as supportive and dedicated as you are to him.

Hope to see you soon!

Jonathan said...

I think you upcoming adventures sound fun. In fact, I think it is worthy of the old adage, "you only live once." Besides, it is a city full of angels. What could go wrong?

I am proud of you both. I look forward to reading your book. I bet it will be awesome.

I think I will write a how-to book on something I have no idea about. Perhaps I will write about my understanding of cars. I will chapters with titles like "Why tires are essential", "If ain't broke, don't fix it", "Smoke from under the hood is never good", and "How to jack up a car and change the tire in under 2 hours." It will be a hit.

As my third grade self would say, later alligator.

Jon