Monday, October 30, 2006

Strapping on the Ol' Ball n' Chain

So, it's official. I am going to be Mrs. Kasey Stokes in 215 days. We broke the news to our families (Mark's mom cried, mine told me to just get it over with and elope - you can tell who is paying for this, huh?) and church members. Mark and I are really excited, even though it is not a surprise. We talked about getting married before we started dating and we picked the date before we got engaged. We do things backwards in this relationship.

Anyway, so our motto for this wedding is a variation from the old saying K.I.S.S. ("keep it simple, sweetheart" - even though it might revert back to "stupid" occasionally, but only in jokes). We want everything really simple so that neither one of us gets overwhelmed. So far, I think we have picked the ceremony site (a historical church in Midway, GA), the vendors for the ceremony, the people that are involved, and the overall aesthetic of the day. Now, my job (between work and school) is to try to get the prices for everything and secure the vendors for the ceremony. His dad is a preacher, so he will be performing the ceremony for us.

I don't know what else to say except for how lucky I am to have Mark. He said last night that there were too many events leading up to this day for it to be purely luck, but I am so overwhelmed with the massive outpouring of love that comes from one person. I could have never imagined a better person to marry. In truth, my standards were probably a lot lower because Mark exceeded my expectations so quickly and consistently. I am truly blessed.

9 comments:

Kirsten said...

I am so excited that Mark's going to be my bother in law! I'm also excited that you have a fabulous guy. Excitment all around.

JJ said...

I hope that's not a Freudian slip . . . your "bother" in law. I know how much you like Freud. :0) And I'm also happy for you Kasey! Congratulations!

Lauren said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you. Seriously. :)

Greg Wright said...

I'm pretty sure that WASN'T a Freudian slip. Kirsten, we've got to stay unified! How else are we gonna convince Kasey to let us sing "I Got You, Babe" at the unity candle?

On a serious note: Thanks, sweetheart, for your constant affirmation. As I am currently overwhelmed with ungraded papers, mindless committee meetings and long-winded student visitors, you remain my focus, my sustinence and my hope for a better existence. I count down the all-too-lengthy days...

Kirsten said...

Aww. That was so sweet Mark. You're good for my sister.

It really was a typo though. As much as I yell at students for not proofreading, I should take my own advice. I'm a poor speller.

Kasey said...

Mark, Kirsten is right, you are really good for me.

It is really nice to being marrying a writer. Our love notes are poignant and our fights are calm and well thought out. Sigh.

Mark, don't joke about the unity candle. You know we are not having a unity candle and there will be no singing during the ceremony. You and Kirsten can sing your hearts out at the rehearsal dinner. It would be a hoot.

Kirsten, Mark tried to figure out the chords for "I Got You, Babe" yesterday, but got frustrated and switched to the only two songs he knows: "The Dueling Banjo Song" and "Ring of Fire," which he alternates back and forth. It is a wonder that I do not have nightmares.

Jonathan said...

Mark,

I just need to make sure, but you mean Kasey when you say sweetheart, right? If you mean Kirsten it might be inappropriate. I am also excited about you being my father in law. Shoot! I mean bother in law. Man, this is tricky. B-r-o-t-h-e-r in law. There. I am glad you are going to be that. Congrats to the both of ya's.

Jon

Kirsten said...

Shut-up, Jon. You don't know where to put commas. Booyah. At least I got spell check! You got nothing!

Kasey said...

You two are my inspiration for a stable married couple. Thanks guys!