Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Close To Home

I am reading this memoir for my Contemporary Irish Lit. class and it is really weird. As I was reading the introduction, every word seemed as if it was coming from my mouth. Continuing on through the book, her life reveals a meandering look at how someone who is so wrapped up in being in love (and fails miserably at it) doesn't realize that she is so successful in her career (something she never cared about in the first place). I look back at my short life and realize that I have done some pretty cool things, but was too busy yelling at a boyfriend or crying because I was single to realize it. I hope to stop the similarities that I found in her book because, even though a career is important in this day and age, I have other goals in life that have to do with my part in God's plan on earth and having the greatest family ever. I feel sorry for her because even though her life might seem enviable to others on the surface, she never quite attained the things that were the most important to her. And a career is a far second from love.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I agree. Love is way more important than a career.

A lot of people's lives might seem enviable to others on the surface, but things are never as perfect as they appear. I think everybody should focus on what is most important to them and stop living by what others deem important.

alicia said...

Here Here! However, when love is unavailable, a career can be nice.