Sometimes the hardest thing in life that we must do is to let go. I know there are things that I must let go of, but I find this chore extremely hard to accomplish. I can't let go of anger, pain, the past, shame, my mistakes, fear...this list could go on for a while. I have heard that the worst thing that a person could do is to hold on to negative feelings because they will only hurt, not heal, you.
When my dad left, I was eight years old. I felt like my life was crashing down around me and I couldn't control any of it. Ever since then, I have taught myself to hold on to blame, anger, and pain because those things I could control. I could say how long I wanted to hold on to them, and I got to say when I would allow myself to forget about them. Now, I am realizing that even though my intention was to be in control, these feelings are, in fact, controlling me. Once, I thought I could decide to let them go, but now I know that I can't let go.
It is this realization that forces me to take this burden off of my shoulders, drop it on the ground, and walk away from it without ever looking back.
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good for you. I wish I could let go of my tendancy to dwell on negatives of the past.
I hope I can really accomplish it. I talk a big game, but some things are hard to get over. It will take time, but I can lick it.
The past is tough to overcome, but I think you are completely on track.
Post a Comment