Thursday, September 13, 2007

So Infuriating...

Today at work I have absolutely nothing to do, which is pretty typical, so I start looking at the city data for my town here in Virginia. I go along and look at the median incomes, real estate values, ages, etc. I get to the bottom of the page and it says there are 27 registered sex offenders in my town. I click on it, and there it was. A name and a crime of a person that lives three houses away from me. I was completely disgusted by this, even though I was relatively sure that I was going to find someone in that list of names that lived on my street. Can't explain it, just one of those feelings.

I would recommend that everyone look up this information on www.city-data.com. I checked my family's areas in Georgia, but I don't know all of the nearby streets in their respective towns. There is a link to the person's rap sheet off of the list, which gives all of their information, including work address, other names, and their record.

This particular offender was charged for two counts of aggravated sexual battery. In the state of Virginia, this means sexual abuse (fondling) of the victim by force and against the will of the victim, AND/OR serious bodily or mental injury to the victim results AND/OR the assailant uses or threatens use of a weapon.

I am truly disgusted and angry that he disrupts my feeling of peace in Virginia. Now, I am going to be extra careful about being alone in my house, going outside at night, and bringing attention to myself. These are things that I haven't had to do in months, since I moved out of Savannah.

This might sound like a PSA, but I can't make it any more clear about how upset I am that my baby has to come into a world where such violent criminals are so close.

No comments: