I found out yesterday that I was promoted to assistant manager. I ordered new business cards and name tags, picked out a new name plate for my desk, and started signing my paperwork as "Assistant Manager." I guess I was suprised since I work part-time and this position is only offered as a full-time position. I haven't quite figured out why I feel weird about it. It could be that I see this promotion as a trap -- complacency knocking loud and clear on my door. Sometimes if I am satisfied where I am, I will not be motivated to strive for what I want to do, not just what is convenient to do. Or, it could just be that I am freaking out about getting a real 9 to 5 job. I had one for six months when I dropped out of college for a semester, but I quickly ran back to school and have worked part-time since.
The part-time job lifestyle really suits me. I am not totally responsible for a business, and do not seem horrible if I do not work all of the time. I am free to run errands or sleep in late. I can leave my work in my office and not think about it again until I come back. I can get a lot of work done, but I don't feel burned out. I know I sound like a dreamer or a total slacker, but I guess it is just that some people define success with what they accomplish with their career and I don't. Never have, never will. I feel satisfied by keeping my personal relationships going, not by moving up a corporate ladder. Anyway, so there you go. Another chapter unfolds.
Friday, September 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congratulations on the promotion.
As far as feeling like it could be a trap, it will only be so if you let it. There are always tons of options and if you don't like it, you can always do something else. However, you might really like it. Who knows.
I know what you mean about the part time thing. I loved working part time. If my job opened a part time position (with my same pay and benefits) I would take it in a heartbeat. It's nice to be able to run those errands that can only be done during weekly business hours without having to worry about taking time off from work.
Post a Comment