This post goes along with my last post. After a long day of consoling, grieving, and caring for my tear-stained sister and her two shocked and sullen boys, I came home to my precious dog, Buster. I love him so much and it is hard to think of a life without him. I feel like there are too many balls to juggle, too many tasks to cross off the to-do list. I sacrifice a little bit of everything in my life just to deal with my life. The worst part of this day come in two parts: the beginning when I got the 7:40 a.m. call alerting me to the death of Taco and the end when I got a random message from a stranger.
Someone sent me a random message letting me know that I look great now, because in high school, he thought I was "kinda big." Then he said right after that: "no offense." This comment is harmful to me for a couple of reasons:
1) I feel overwhelmed, so I am already weepy.
2) I tread on very thin ice when it comes to body image, and it hurts me to realize that such an ignorant comment could shake me so badly.
I am sad that something said so flippently could shake my self-confidence. I am sad that the quiet, constant whisper of my self-conscience in high school is reappearing after years of pushing it out of my head. "Does everybody think that I am fat?" I look at my pictures and there seems to be reflected this constant struggle with getting my body to conform to the current standards of beauty. I hated my breasts in school because I was the only one who had a D cup, so I was either labeled a slut or not thin. I hated my butt because guys would always comment on the shape and size as I walked down the hallways. I hated my arms because they were so thin and so weak. I hated my thighs because I couldn't wear the sundresses that were so popular. There were so many limitations that came with my body type. It was only in college that I learned how to work with them and then I really started to believe that my body type was actually what was desirable. I thought that I had a truly feminine shape that men are attracted to. I believed that so much that I started attracting guys who would reaffirm my new confident body belief. I finally started attracted guys that were not a step down for me, guys that were good for me. I started realizing that there was more to me than this body that was provided, and that I could maneuver around it so expertly that no one would notice that I now had even bigger breasts and even more curves. I actually believed that this was the best I have ever looked because I was the most comfortable with myself than I have ever been.
It is sad when you realize all of that growth can be shattered by a word, an ignorant moment, a suggestion. The self-doubt that was so meticulously buried comes back to the surface and the burden is once again strapped to my already over-worked shoulders. One word proves that I am so breakable.
Monday, June 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a jerk. Was it someone on Myspace? I didn't even know you could send anonymous comments.
Kasey, you're a beautiful person both inside and out. I think you have a fabulous body. It is what men want and you should think yourself desirable because you are.
The person that said that was probably ugly in high school and is probably uglier now. It's easy for me to say don't let it bother you, but I know it would devestate me as well.
Who cares what some ugly person thinks? He was probably saying it to be hateful. Just know, that the people who matter think you have a hot bod.
No you are not fat. Not even close. Last night, I thought that you have a great figure (not in a gay way). Some people are awkward with their comments. I am sure he meant it as a compliment, but failed miserably. You are beautiful and smart and loved. Who cares about the random thoughts of strangers?
take a look at this site:
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=14537
Post a Comment